Vitality Chicken Quinoa Soup
Happy Autumn! 🍁 The changing leaves and cooler weather of fall means it's soup eating season! Does anyone else love soup?
This Chicken Quinoa Soup is my 'go-to' soup - it's quick, easy, delicious and full of nutrients and local veggies. Quinoa is also a smart carb choice...which is one of the habits we have been learning about and practicing in the Vitality Health and Fitness Coaching Program.
Smart Carbs are a group of carbohydrates that are nutrient-rich and lower on the Glycemic Index. These carbs are packed with fibre which means they digest more slowly, preventing spikes in blood sugar and helping you feel fuller longer. They also nourish our bodies with lots of vitality inducing vitamins and minerals.
Here's the recipe:
1 full roasted chicken (pull it apart) - Set shredded chicken aside (I use half for the soup and save the other half for something else - it's great on salads, or wraps)
1-2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
3+ carrots peeled and chopped
3+ celery stalks chopped
Shallot or onion diced
Handful of green/purple/yellow beans chopped
Any other veggies on hand (spinach or kale are great to toss in near the end of cooking)
1/3 cup dry quinoa (rinsed)
2 bay leaves (or to taste)
Chili pepper flakes to taste
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste
1. Place the chicken bones in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for an hour or so.
2. While the chicken bones are boiling, clean and chop veggies and gather remaining ingredients.
3. Remove bones and reserve water/broth. Be sure to save any chicken that has loosened from the bones. Add water back to pot.
4. Add stock and bring to boil. Add veggies, spices, quinoa and chicken. Reduce heat to simmer.
5. Once veggies are fork tender and quinoa has 'sprouted', remove from heat (about 30 minutes).
6. Enjoy! 😋
I hope you're able to give this nourishing soup a try. If you do, please leave a comment to let us know what you think.